Saturday, September 16, 2006

Night Owl

The other day when D and I were house sitting, one of the little girls went to put my baby down for a nap. When I went to get him after he had woken up, he was on his back, which is unusual because he will only sleep on his tummy. "It's a miracle!" I thought- "he actually slept on his back!" After another nap later that day I came to the realization that my little man had learned a new trick- he rolls over! "How Fun!" I was thinking. "This is so cute!" Watching him try to do it is so funny. He kicks his tiny chunky leg back and groans, 'OOOHHHHEEUU' with all his might and he finally makes it on to his side where sometimes gravity kicks in and helps him get onto his back, and sometimes he hasn't quite made it far enough and he ends up back where he started. Only to try try again. It is so funny to watch. I was so happy and excited.

Later that night I came to find out, much to my dismay, that this thing that I had thought was so cute and fun may actually send me into total sleep deprivation. That night I was up twice every hour helping my little groaning, whining, exhausted son back onto his belly because as we already knew- he won't sleep on his back. He is this little wiggly person with so much ambition- who knew a three month old could be ambitious?? So he rolls and rolls an rolls and I wake up time after time after time to help him back to the other side.

So we came home from house sitting and some things were waiting at my door that I had ordered from Old Navy. Among them were these cute jammies- camo with "NIGHT OWL" printed on them in orange. So fitting for the moment. So I put him in them and put the little guy down for what I hoped would be a more peaceful night than the one before. Needless to say, it wasn't. And here I am this grumpy old woman (when did I get so old?) waking up hour after hour thinking, "This boy may drive me insane." But how do you stay mad when you go in the room and there he is on his back giving you this little grin like, "Hey Mommy! I knew you would come! Look what I can do! Aren't I the cutest?"

Yes. Yes you are my little night owl.

DSC01431

3 Comments:

Blogger brittany said...

so funny, the little bugger! He has gotten soooooo big! dang cute.

6:56 AM  
Blogger emma jo said...

He is adorable! Babies can be such stinkers. They totally know how cute they are!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Abby said...

Have I mentioned how very much like you he looks? I'm sure it will change back and forth from you to dad a million and one times before he's grown. Love the jammies.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home