Sunday, October 29, 2006

What Part is Me?

Do any of you watch Gilmore Girls? I do. For all of you Oprah watchers and to put it in slightly polite terms, my Husband likes to call it my Va-J-J show. And it is. I find myself wishing that I could talk that fast and that inteligently at the same time! These girls are a riot. I wish they existed and if they did exist I wish they would be my friends.

Anyway, let's get to the point, shall we? I was watching the show a couple of weeks ago and Loralai started to talk about such a true and intersting topic. (For you non- watchers, Loralai is a single mom of daughter Rory and she is whitty, and quick, and extremely funny.) She is questioning herself. She has a strained reolationship with her all too polite and feminine mother and she asks herself- How much of me is because that is who I am, and how much of me is because I didn't want to be who she wanted me to be. So is this making sense? Anyway, it got me thinking. How much of me is because that is just who I am, and how much of me is because of all of the people around me?

DSC00929
Dad- I got your sensitivity, your organizational skills, your temper that is too quick sometimes ( I can only say that because I do it too!), and your legs!

DSC03897
Mom- I got your zest for life, the perfectionist (nothing we do will ever be good enough for ourselves), and your tiny bones.

DSC03356
Brooke- I got the YELLOW in you, and so many things, who knows? Because you were my best friend and I wanted to be JUST LIKE YOU at a very maleable age! I copied your favorite colors, your music, and your boys. You must know that I truly loved Scott- and Mason too!

DSC02856
Britt- I got your creativity, but in a whole different way. AKA the not quite as good way, but it will do, way! I got your sleeping in habits in high school and the hopeless romantic side of you. I think I love Romeo and Juliet all because of you. Thank you for that. Oh, why, why were they star- crossed?

DSC03885
Kara- I got your athletisiscm toned way down, and I always wanted to be active like you were. I was never as good, or quite as fast, but I can thank my tom boy side to you- and I love that side, so thanks. I like that I understand football, and that going to pro sporting events is my idea of fun and that sometimes I can hold my own with the boys.

DSC02981
Caleb- I got your poetic side and your hyper side. You know Mom got me tested for ADD because we are two peas in a pod, and man do we know how to laugh and have a good time!

And I still try to be more like you guys every single day. So, how much of me is really ME? Truth be known- I have no idea, and I don't really care. I am just glad I got all of these peices of each of you. If I hadn't, maybe I wouldn't have ever danced, or cheered so hard at a game, or been quite as social, or read through Shakespeare. There are too many things that I got from my Mom and Dad to even really go into that- I am who I am because of them. And there is the answer to my question. I am all of them, good and bad, bundled into one ball, and there is a bunch of just pure me in there too I think. The best part though, is that i am happy that I am all of them and unlike Loralai- the part of me that is them makes me happy! Love, love, love you all!

4 Comments:

Blogger emma jo said...

Beautiful post! I love having so many things in common with my family! It is a delicate and unpredictable balance of nature vs. nurture.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Abby said...

How funny, I don't even watch that show and I saw that part you're talking about! It's kind of mind-boggling to start questioning how it is that we are who we are...but we're both very blessed to have the families we do--I know that much!

3:47 PM  
Blogger brittany said...

but soft, what light from yonder window breaks? it is the east, and juliet is the sun.

I can break it out any time. seared into my brain. makes me want to go read some Shakespeare. :)

This was fun to read. Maybe I should try this excersize.

I love you so much!

5:49 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

I liked reading this. But just so you know, I see you in you, not just everybody else!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home