Monday, February 26, 2007

Submerged

For the past two days I have been totally and utterly submerged. I was bloggie browsing sometime last week when I can upon blog entries from Rachel and Laurel that sparked my interst. They had both read the same book and raved about it. I have to admit I was incredibly skeptical. Vampires? For real? But knowing how much these two read and trusting them I decided if they loved it that much I would give it a shot since I would be bored "babysitting" my brother-in -law and sister-in law (ages 13 & 14) while their parents were away. I didn't start reading Twilight until Saturday afternoon and I finished reading the 500 page novel last night. Yes, that would be Sunday Night. So as you can see, I have been completely submerged. I hardly wanted to eat or sleep (which is mostly all I do these days.) It was an inconvenience to be doing anything other than reading.

Don't you love it when you find a book that does this to you? I recently read Nora Ephrons I Feel Bad About My Neck in which she writes a whole chapter "On Rapture", in which she exlpains wonderfully exactly how I have been feeling about this book. She explains, "There's something called the rapture of the deep, and it refers to what happens when a deep sea diver spends too much time at the bottom of the ocean and can't tell which way is up. When he surfaces, he's liable to have a condition called the bends, where the body can't adapt to the oxygen levels in the atmosphere. All this happens to me when I surface from a great book." Thanks for the words Nora, that explains it well enough.

My hubby was so annoyed at my lack of attention to him (and to food). He kept teasing me with things like, "He hon, I just ordered you some new tall black Dr. Martens with spikes on them." He thinks I am finding a new love for the gothic lifestyle now that I so utterly enjoyed a book about Vampires. But seriously, you should read it. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. Hopelessly romantic and engaging. I wanted to be there, to be them. I was so sad when I was done, but my family is glad to have me back to reality!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger laurel said...

I am so happy that you read this book. I was submerged too. Yay!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Abby said...

That's it--now I've heard it from way too many people to igore what needs to be done...tomorrow I go to the bookstore--goodbye, world (for as long as it takes me to read it). I have not read a single Harry Potter book, I want in on this one.

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home