Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The Official Cookie Pannel

I don't make chocolate chip cookies very often. I didn't even realize that until last week and I wondered why I don't make a delicacy as fine as chocolate chip cookies more often? Then I realized- too many choices- too little time. There are just too many recipes and they are all pretty good so I usually just wait until someone else makes them and then I feast! So I decided to hold a cookie panel.

DSC02199

Every Wednesday Brooke, Caleb and I get together for sibling lunch. This is to ensure that we see each other at least once a week since we are practically neighbors and yet sometimes it just doesn’t happen. So, for as many Wednesdays as there are until I run out of recipes we will be having chocolate chip cookie tasting. This is a very difficult task. In order to be on the panel you must be able to use discretion, you must be a chocolate lover, and you must have cookie loving in your DNA. So as you could imagine, the panel was hard to pick, but I think I did a good job. We will be assessing all kinds of different things. Size, beauty, density, dunk-ability, edibility, best flat cookie, best fluffy cookie, best recipe including oatmeal, best recipe for pizookies, recipe complicity- so you see- you must be highly qualified to do our job. It’s not an easy one.

DSC02196

DSC02197

We started last week (yes it has taken me a whole week to post this) with a famous recipe from back home in Alamo. Martha’s cookies. We found these cookies to be wonderful. They were gooey, and totally crave-able. You wanted to eat 12 but they were too rich. I stopped at 2 and I think Caleb pushed himself all the way to 6. Something to be admired indeed. I was still full from those 2 cookies by dinnertime. They were so dense they didn’t sop up milk very well. For you that like a chocolate chip cookie on the lighter side, these were a bit heavy for Brooke. “Too rich”, she judged. These would make an amazing pizookie. They have the perfect amount of gooey-ness to them. The kids all loved them too!

DSC02203

This week we continued with MR’s Famous Sunday Cookies. This recipe includes oatmeal and is a Tanner family pleaser. I may be in betrayal to the family in saying this, but I liked last weeks better- don’t get mad! Caleb agreed with me only eating 2 cookies this week. (I think.) Brooke preferred these ones because they weren’t so rich. They were better to dunk with milk- a good absorption rate- and they were crispier as opposed to gooey. This recipe is also a bit more finicky- you have to follow a precise procedure to get the best end result. However, if you are into cookie eating for sport, you could eat a lot more of these ones- I know I have had many Sundays full from overdosing on these.

DSC02229

Please feel free to join us every Wednesday to be a part of the cookie panel. I will post all recipes (This week and last weeks are below) and if any of you think that you have a really good chocolate chip cookie recipe then please pass me the recipe so I can try it out one week. We would like to be eating lots of cookies for many Wednesdays to come!

DSC02200



Martha’s Cookies

DSC02194

1 lb. real butter
1 lb. C&H dark brown sugar
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
6 cups flour
4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cream butter, sugars, and eggs together. Then add the remaining
ingredients. Bake at 350 for 10-11 minutes.

Just a little Martha hint. Don't pack the flour....kind of sift around
the flour and then get a loose cup full of flour.




MR’s Famous Sunday Cookies

DSC02231

Cream:
1 lb. butter (softened)
2c Brown Sugar
2c White Sugar

Add:
4 Eggs (Room Temp)
Add one egg at a time mixing in between

Add:
2 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
Mix together.

Add 1 cup at a time, alternating ingredients:
5c Oats
4c Flour

Add:
1-2c semi sweet chocolate chips (or to taste)

Bake at 400 for about 11 minutes until edges are turning gold brown (These will continue to cook a bit after taking them out- I think because of the oatmeal?)

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it! he he It turned out cute. It makes me laugh thinking of how technical our cute brother gets about the whole thing. I can't wait till he gets that spread sheet printed off to really keep track of the results. Love you!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Abby said...

I am in love with this post! I am in love with that kitchen too--by any chance is that "juparano fantastico" on the countertops? Anyway, call me an ameteur, but I stand by my favorite being the recipe on the plain old "Toll House" bag of chocolate chips! Depending on the flour amounts, which I play with now and then, they can be fluffy or gooey. Just yesterday I experimented with a whole wheat pastry flour (and then added a tiny bit of regular for sturdiness)--and I did combination of chocolate chips and butterscotch morsels...I just finished 2 and it's almost 1am. There you have it--not only am I long-winded, I am going to feel really gross in the morning. (But so worth it!) p.s. Who the heck has a microscope sitting around? That is awesome--love all the fun pictures, you beautiful people!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Jillian said...

You are so funny... that is so you.

11:15 PM  
Blogger AL and ALI said...

Okay, talk about a dream come true! Al's favorite dessert is a chocolate chip cookie. Forget creme brulee or some amazing delicacy. Chocolate chip cookies...and I always do the same thing, make different recipes each time but then i forget which ones i like so this is great. keep giving us your results.

6:27 AM  
Blogger AL and ALI said...

oh, and i love the pictures.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

I definitely think you need to have a "best cookie dough" category as well. This is so fun! Here is an Oatmeal Choc Chip recipe for you...

2 cubes butter, softened
1 c white sugar
1 c brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

2 cups quick oatmeal
1 cup mini choc chips
1 cup coconut

Cream butter and sugars. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Add dry ingredients. Add oatmeal, choc chips, and coconut. Form into balls the size of walnuts. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes. Makes about 4 dozen.

10:14 AM  
Blogger laurel said...

Thanks for the great recipes Krista! I wish I could join your panel! I actually just made some last night...my famous oatmeal chocolate chip :)

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup crisco
2 eggs
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup semi-sweet choc. chips

Bake at 375 for 10-11 minutes.

Now, I truly believe that they way I mix the dough makes all the difference. So if you ever decide to make these, try mixing like me: Start from the top of the list and mix all the dry ingredients first. Then, just plop the wet ingredients in and mix. (Don't pre-mix the wet like you normally would). I know, backwards, but it is the best way!

3:09 PM  
Blogger brittany said...

OH, I am loving this. Four recipes so far from one post...I only wish I could join physically on Wednesdays.

These pictures rock. I like seeing Caleb in pictures-it's kind of rare. I simply don't see my brother enough. I love you guys!!

xxoo
B

5:49 AM  
Blogger Ryan and Holly Gibb said...

Such a fun idea! Chocolate chip cookies are my favorite, so simple yet so fulfilling! Sometimes I make cookies just to eat the dough. My sister and I have found a recipe that we absolutely love. We have tried others but this is our fav. The name suits them well!

World's Best Choc. Chip Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter softened
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
Cream then add:
3/4 tsp. soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbls. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 bag Ghirarrdeli Milk Choc. chips

Bake at 350 for 11 min. No more, no less. (I use just under 3 cups flour)

1:11 PM  
Blogger Rocky & Krystal said...

mmm mmmm Got Milk! Good work cookie panel! haha It looks like you all put a lot of time and effort into this panel! How fun though! You are so cute always coming up with these fun little things, and ideas that are so clever and tasteful. Personally, I have never died over a certain chocolate chip cookie recipe yet. I love MR'S recipe, but I need to try some others. Email me some my way could you please. Oh, I need a great sugar cookies recipe. Have you tried the ones in our recipe book yet?? Happy cookie eating!
p.s. Krew looks yummy in that picture

7:31 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

When I make "World's best..." I mix the sugars, add the butter (softened at room temperature), eggs and vanilla, then the dry ingredients. I put one bag milk chocolate chips and half a bag of semi-sweet chips. Has to be Ghirardelli. You can also do 2 cups of white chocolate chips and one cup macadamia nuts if you are into that. I love those too.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

By the way, I'm Holly's sister.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Krista said...

Thank you all for the great recipes! Keep em comin! We are excited to try them all!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

Yuuummmm...CCoooookkkiieee.

7:26 PM  
Blogger allison Berding said...

Who provided the microscope?

Thanks for the recipes! You are adorable!

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Caleb is so hot right now!

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home