Monday, October 22, 2007

Deep Breaths

Last Tuesday Cash wasn't feeling well so I took him to the doctor. At the appointment my Dr told me that if his fever reached over 100.4 then I needed to take himto the ER immediately. As she tells me this Krew falls off of a rolling stool flat onto his face. I pick him up immediately and there is already blood all over his face- gushing out of his mouth and pouring out of his immediately swollen nose. The toughest kid I know is crying harder than I have ever seen him cry. I would categorize this as a very bad Dr's appointment.

Deep Breath.

Cash cried through the entire night. Krew joined him for 4 hours of whining and screaming. The night ended with Krew falling asleep at about 4:30 am and me taking Cash to the ER with a fever of 101.

Deep Breath.

Within ten minutes of arriving at the ER they were poking and prodding my baby. "This will move fast. There will be lots of people testing lots of things to make sure that your baby is okay. Don't be nervous", she told me. I cry as they put an IV in my babies arms and poke his spine with a needle. I cry even harder each timemy baby cries out in pain. I am sleep deprived and emotional- a bad combination.

Deep Breath.

We stay in the hospital for 3 days as they run tests on the baby. He is hooked up to an IV and they are constantly waking him and poking him and stripping him down. They are taking good care of him, but it still gets frustrating at times. Meanwhile Krew is being passed off from person to person. Grandma to Brooke, to Dad and back again. I miss him so badly, but I know where I need to be right now. All I can hear are crying babies through the vents 24 hours a day as I try to sleep on my fold out seat.

Deep Breath.

On Friday we find out that everything is okay. No meningitis, no RSV, no pnemonia, no urinary tract infection, no nothing. Just a cold virus.

Deepest of Breaths.
Prayers answered.
Hearts swollen with gratitude.

We have had to take many deep breaths throughout this past week. Breaths of fear, breaths of hope, breaths of thanks, and breaths of love for each other. Thank you so much to all of you who prayed for us and called with warm hearts. Your support was not unoticed in the midst of the havoc. We are just happy that everyone is healthy (minus coughs, colds, scrapes, and swollen noses) but those we can deal with by simply breathing.

Cash's IV
The only picture that I took to remember the dreaded occasion!

Labels:

23 Comments:

Blogger AL and ALI said...

Krista,

I am so glad that things are getting better, that is scary stuff. Whew.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Jillian said...

man that was rough... and it didnt even happen to me. Im glad you got through it. You did good! know I am always here and you can call me WHENEVER!!!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Anne Lee said...

You are a WONDER WOMAN!! I'm soo soo soooooo glad that Cash is ok. Having a sick baby is horrible! Let's hope that you paid your dues for sick babies for the YEAR!! You are amazing!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

You were a trooper. And I loved having your boy with me. He makes me laugh. I know you are not going to believe this, but this pic of Cash looks like BREE!!!!! How does that work? Maybe it's the dark coloring of Dallas and David?

2:25 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

Why do little babies have to go through stuff like that. There should be a rule against it. I'm sorry you have to go through that. I'm glad he's ok.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Abby said...

Yikes. I find myself taking a deep breath while reading! (BTW I am amazed that you didn't have to wait for hours in the ER!)

9:45 PM  
Blogger Paige said...

So glad he is OK! You are a good mother for taking him in and the hospital is really good for responding so quickly because it could have been something horrid. And why does your husband look so cute with a cute sick baby?

10:10 PM  
Blogger Ashley Clark said...

So glad to hear everything is okay!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Lucky Candice said...

Wow. Crazy. I'm soooo glad that he's alright. You've officially become a survivor (and so has cash).

LC

8:49 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I am so happy your family is healthy and home! Love you K!

8:58 PM  
Blogger brittany said...

LOVE YOU!

4:31 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

KRista,
I'm so glad everything is OK. Babies are so scary sometimes. I bet you are sooooo exhausted. I have a baby gift for cute little Cash! I need to get over to your house to see him. I showed the girls pics on your blog! He got the thumbs up from all of them.
Great all is well and you are home!
K another subject....
The other boleyn Girl is one of the best books I have read in years! I loved it and couldn't put it down. Hopefully you get a few moments a day to yourself to read!!!

Jen

9:41 AM  
Blogger Mindy Holman said...

Hey Krista, that sounds like quite the ordeal! I'm glad that everything turned out ok, your boys look absolutely adorable!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Jenny & Wyatt Dannels said...

I am glad to hear that everything is ok with Cash. When Krystal told me what was wrong I got all choked up for you. You are so Strong! Lets go to Last Chance when you feel like you want to take Cash out of the house again. Krystal LOVED it!

5:27 PM  
Blogger The Gibb's said...

Oh my gosh I was just sick reading this. I am so glad he is ok. Bless your heart. I hope you too are ok from this tramatic experience. Every mothers worst fear (its mine and I am not even a mother yet). We love ya, you're in our prayers!

8:53 PM  
Blogger Celia Fae said...

So when Kara was posting about the prayers for Cash I was going crazy. Who knew that blogging was going to open up a whole new world of worrying for me? I'm glad he is okay because I couldn't take another Hazen incident. It almost did me in.

Can you arrange for your kids to have those dimples your husband has?

I have an announcement: No one else is allowed to have sick babies. Please obey this rule.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Alli said...

im so glad he's doing better! it breaks my heart to see babies sick especially when they are soo little.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Dennis & Jenna said...

I took a deep breath after reading that! I'm glad everything is o.k.! I hope he keeps getting better! You are a great mom!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Liz and Scott said...

I'm so glad that everything's okay. What a horrible and emotional experience to go through.
On a lighter note, I had a dream that we were choreographing a dance together for the MVHS dance show.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Rocky & Krystal said...

wow kris~ I was taking a deep breath after reading that. I just read this today, I havn't got on this ting in a while. But I just wanted to say that I'm so glad little cash man is fine, and healthy for he msot part. I'm glad that your mom and brooke could help with krew, and I'm glad that krew's nose is'nt swollen anymore! that was a bad little hit there on a little guy! The good thing is that it's over, and you can breathe now! the bad thing, is that you will probably have many more bumps, cuts, bruises, stitches, and all those things that come wth boys, especially rough and tough ones like yours! But thats the life of a mommy, and I must say, your pretty good at it! Love ya!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Ryan and Holly Gibb said...

I am SO glad to hear that Cash is ok and it wasn't anything serious. I wanted to cry when Ryan told me. It's so scary with newborns. We prayed for you guys and I'm just happy he is doing well. I still want to come visit you!!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Mikael said...

wow! I had no idea this was going on. I can only imagine. Looks like you pulled through it with strength. I am glad you are all ok!!!
I tagged you on my blog, take a look

1:59 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

That sounds like a nightmare. There's nothing worse than having your baby poked and prodded. I'm so glad that he's ok.

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home